This is what my dining room table looked like
for multiple days this month...
I personally made 8 BIG Race Cars out of poster board and a Pinewood Derby sign for decorations for the BIG RACE. My kids helped me design the cars (we were just winging it with no templates).
I spent a lot of hours on SIGNS, and Bruce spent a lot of hours with Logan on his car:
Race Day:
I brought the popcorn popper.
INSIDER INFORMATION: The numbers on the sides of the race car posters are the birth dates of each person in our fam-i-ly.
(the kids were excited about their own poster car)
8 VERNONS/8 RACE CAR POSTERS
The Ugly Truth: Although Bruce and I put tons of time in to trying to make it a nice Pinewood Derby (I brought the balloons, above sign, checkered table cloths, made all the poster decorations and brought popcorn popper) and the night totally turned out great for everyone.... unfortunately, Logan's car did not do so hot. He was so sad. One of the weights was kind of touching the track, which held it back. His car came in last, every time. He cried. I wanted to cry. Bruce and I felt horrible. Bruce has always felt like the boys are suppose to make the car, not the dad. Bruce is right there helping him, but Logan sanded and painted and placed the stickers and weights on it himself and his car looked awesome. But somehow when his car did bad, we felt like failures too. It stunk. We totally agree that its good to lose sometimes, it keeps you humble, and its fine, but it was still sad. Only cuz he was so embarrassed, and after all the time we put in to the night, that was hard. He told me he didn't expect to win the whole thing, but he didn't expect to lose that bad either. He said he still had fun though, at least when his car was not racing.
You win some you lose some.
3 comments:
I love that he made his own car. That is great parenting.
Doing the right thing is not always easy.
Ditto what Alisa said! And I agree that it turned out very cool looking!!
Aw, that stinks! It's no fun to lose every race! But seriously you guys did a great job. Logan's car looked awesome and so did all the signs and decorations. Way to go, Vernon's!
Post a Comment