"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Fancy Door

I saw this carved wood door on Pinterest the other day...
isn't it beautiful?
I immediately started looking on Craigs list/Ebay for an "old or antique wood door" out of curiosity. And GUESS WHAT??? I found an old wood hand carved door the EXACT dimensions our new house front door was designed to be, 15 minutes away. I went to look at it (by myself, so unsafe). The seller was this little ethnic gay guy with a cool accent.

I stared at it forever deciding if it was really what I wanted. It actually had more hand carved detail then I would have preferred.
PRO: it was so unique. CON: it looked so ugly in its current state
It had ugly red stain on one side and crackling light glaze on the other. It needed a lot of sanding and some cracks filled. But it was solid wood with beautiful detail. (And way cheaper than a new door)

I bought it.
Bruce saw it and was like, "What did you just do?"

Sanding it back down to bare wood is our new project.
Its actually kind of fun working on it together.
As its getting back to natural wood color...
it's starting to look beautiful.
I love the scroll carving at the very top.
I just can't decide what COLOR to have it painted???

We're going to have to decide here soon,
because look how quickly our house has framed....

5 comments:

Frolicking Night Owl said...

GOOD find!! I like the color of the door on the Pinterest photo maybe toned down a bit or something similar that matches your home.

Alisa said...

What an awesome door!

It is so beautiful that it will almost be a shame to paint it.

Good luck figuring it all out!

The Wiser Side said...

How amazing!! I too like the color of the photo. I also love the round area on your house-I may have to just walk through your home1 ;o)

Emily Lauren said...

Okay, that is the coolest door ever! I love all of the detail on it! I wish you took a picture of it before so that we could see how hideous it was and as a result, how awesome you are for seeing the amazing potential! It's so cool!

As far as color, I really like the color on the top photo. We are doing a teal shade door :) So pretty!

Carrie said...

Wow I love how you were inspired and found one right away on craigslist. I think it was meant to be then! It will be such a beautiful unique door. Great that the whole family gets to be involved in seeing a not so pretty door be restored to beautiful again.. they will love and appreciate it more. Go Cherryl!