"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Thursday, April 15, 2010

Cheap Labor

Just remember how happy Bruce looks in this first picture. When you see the last picture, at least remember how happy he started the day.

WHY is Bruce on a tractor???

I love this man.

Life is all about experiences, right? I love this quote by someone rich and famous who said: (something like)

"You can pay someone to clean for you, you can pay someone to watch your kids, you can pay someone to garden for you, etc..... but at some point you have to ask yourself, are you just paying someone to live for you?"

What a great quote. Life is about experiences. So, even though we would LOVE to pay someone to do our yard and clean our house, we don't, we do it, because we want our kids to experience.... their mom grumpy and yelling at them every saturday doing chores.... okay, not exactly that, (even though thats what happens) but I want them to experience that THEY clean up, not someone we pay.

Soooooo, do you want to know a secret.... do ya, DO YA, do ya... I have been developing land for the last year. It has been so much work, but so fun. Some day it will be great.

But last week, it wasn't great, it was just weeds, lots of 'em.

We were needing to get it cleaned up and I was calling around to price out tractor rental/landscapers coming out to clean it all up (about 10 acres)... when it occurred to me that Bruce would have fun driving a tractor. So I call Bruce and say, true story, "seriously Bruce, life is about experiences, how often are we going to own 10 acres of land that needs to be tractored (thats a word, right?) the kids would love to see you out there, and take a turn driving it, so tomorrow on your day off, I'm going to rent the tractor for you to drive."

Bruce is the BEST, because he was like, "all right". And truth be known, he was WAY excited to drive the tractor. He woke up and told me he had to pick out the PERFECT tractor outfit, his sweatiest hat, his favorite goodwill t-shirt with someone elses name on the back, etc...

Because seriously, what could possibly make you feel more manly then driving a tractor which is pulling an attachment called a "Brush Hog"?

Lily was excited to come take a peek at her "farmer dad"





You know the boys were excited after school to come see what their dad had been doing all day...







Okay.... SOOOOO, I don't think you have to worry about Bruce becoming a rancher. It STUNK! He was out there for 8 hours because the tractor kept getting stuck, he was sunburnt, mad at the tractor, GRUMPY... then finally the rental place came out and fixed the problem, and things went better.
But... he.... wasn't.... a..... happy..... camper.

I was trying to take this picture of him afterwards, but he wouldn't smile. I was like, "Bruce, c'mon"... then he said, and I quote, "Cherryl- I don't care about your pictures right now"
WELL, wasn't he grumpy.

I don't think you have to worry about him becoming a farmer.

We were real nice to him all night
because we felt bad he worked so hard.

At least you looked really manly out there Bruce.

7 comments:

Alisa said...

Love it!

We loaded all the kids in the car last night to go check out his work. Well done, Bruce and the Brush Hog!

Kimmy said...

this is probably my all time favorite post...so funny because he is soooooo much like Dan!!!! I could have just inserted our family into this and it would have been EXACTLY what would have happened to us! Congrats on the land..I want to hear more about that! and the pictures of Lilly are so cute!

Derek and Janel said...

i didn't even know you owned land, where is it at?? are you going to build a huge house so you can fit all your kids in it when you pop out three more???

Unknown said...

great pics!! i cried when I saw all the pics of Lily. i miss her so much!! {i miss everyone...but lily is my special buddy!}---love chrissy

Grand Central Staten said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Grand Central Staten said...

Hey, I've seen Bruce make that face before. Neil makes the same face often around here.
What is it about boys and tractors? Neil insisted that we buy a tractor and brush hog for the clinic property. Goofiest business expense ever!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Bruce, that is amazing all that tractor work you did. I never would've guessed. Sorry it took so long and was frustrating. Just so you know...my dad does this all the time. Tractor work for other people's land. And he says all the time, "If farmers didn't have bad luck, they wouldn't have any luck at all." ha ha. We don't really talk to my dad on grumpy farmer days like that. It's just safer. ;)