"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Monday, August 12, 2013

Volunteers

The week before school started I signed up to volunteer at Deseret Industries for 4 hours. (It's just like a Goodwill store, but owned and operated by the church) Melissa brought her 2 kids and I brought my boys. 

You can see the boys beyond the "employees only" doors in their volunteer aprons... getting a "behind the scenes" tour, and orientation.
 We sorted clothes and color arranged racks for 4 hours. Quite honestly, I was exhausted. It was hot, didn't smell so great, and I was SO ready for the 4 hours to be over when we left. I told the boys, "this is why you go to college. So you don't have to do manual labor like this all your life". It made me thankful for all we've been blessed with.

It would have been easier to go with out the kids (isn't it always) as it took much effort to keep the boys focused on what they were suppose to be doing. They were easily side tracked begging me to buy everything cool they found. {Dallin did get a couple sweet suit coats for church though} But I was thankful for 2 sons who didn't even complain when I told them what they were doing that summer day. 

But the best service was the day before.

We FINALLY made it to the temple with our 3 oldest kids to help with baptisms!! It was my goal all summer. (We strategically went early in the morning JUST so we could go to Kneaders for breakfast afterwards. Homemade cinnamon french toast, Yum.) It was Ashlin and Bruce's only day off that week, so bless their hearts for being willing to give up their only day to sleep in... love them!
What a beautiful morning. 
I love my family and the temple.

No comments: