I just got back last night from
BYU Womens Conference.
I have never been before.
I flew up with my good friend Alisa and we stayed with my best friend growing up Tanya. They separately had both invited me to go, and I am SO glad they did. I would have never gone otherwise. They had never met before, but it was great fun hanging with both of them.
I had such a rough few weeks over here in parenting land. I was ready and really needing to go for some inspiration on how to do better! It was 2 days of trying to make it to as many parenting classes as I could. I came home with pages of ideas and goals (some below).... and some famous BYU mint brownies. Yum.
Alisa flew home friday night, but I stayed until saturday with Tanya. I have to admit, it was a little depressing to see how beautiful Utah is. Tanya lives in a farming community with lots of open fields, no street lights, no traffic, just Gods beautiful earth surrounded by mountains, dotted with small farms and homes. Breath taking. I went on a long walk friday night and saturday morning... pictures below.
But I am blessed too. And even though Arizona is different, its my home.
I love that Tanya, how lucky I was to have such a wonderful person as my best friend growing up. Her husband has been bishop the last few years. We talked for hours about the challenges of motherhood and all our responsibilities... it was emotional, and fun, and inspiring. A wonderful needed break.
My walk:
I am home now, and today was a good day. I am so inspired to be a better mom. I wasn't as perfect already as I wanted to be... but I am determined to continue working on the things that inspired me.
Some thoughts I wrote down from the classes I took:
-How does my presence effect the atmosphere in my home?
-Don't assume others know you love them, you have to show them.
-We need to realize anger is a choice. Acknowledge we have power to respond lovingly.
-We cannot make children behave better by making them feel worse. When they feel better, they will behave better.
-There is no discipline in all the world like the magic of love.
-I know that "the most important work I will do is within the walls of my own home"... so what can I cut out to spend more time with my children?
5 Ways to communicate Love:
Acts of Service, Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, Gift Giving, Quality Time
-Teenagers will probably most want to talk and open up at night. Take the opportunity when they come.
-As adults we still need encouragement, acknowledgement, validation. So do our children.
-The most effective words our teenager can hear, "I love you"
-Children should not feel they need to earn our love
-Every teenager alive is insecure.
-Positive reinforcement ALWAYS goes farther than criticism.
-Simple words of encouragement build self esteem
-Look for the good
-Tell them you love them every day
-Teenage boys have more anger suddenly, getting too big to be pointing your finger down at them, "He just needs you to hug him"
-On our own, we can change our mind. But we need the Lord to help change our heart.
-Peace and happiness come from within, it is a choice.


1 comment:
I totally printed out that list!! I need to read and remember all of that often. The first one made me grab by chest. Soooo important to realize.
Post a Comment