"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Friday, February 1, 2013

Blake Family Day Trip

Yesterday my cousin Steffany got married in the Gila Valley Temple. 
Congratulations Steffany! So happy for them.

Most of my family below met at my grandparents house and we car pooled there. It was a wonderful time to drive and visit, laugh (so many comedians among us)... and reflect on what a blessed family I was born in to.  Every one of them below is an amazing person and I could happily spend hours talking to each one individually.

Ashlin's middle name was after my Aunt Amy (to the left). She was my spiritual role model growing up. She knew and studied the scriptures. She taught Institute for years (college age religious classes). She has an un-human amount of patience, like her mother. Since I went to church alone growing up, she is the one who took me to get my patriarchal blessing and through the temple my first time.
Then Uncle Steve treated us all to a mexican restaurant 
"Casa Manana" in Safford, Az. 

TRUE STORY: 
After eating, Carrie and I got up to go use the restroom. We walked in the woman's restroom... and I saw out of the corner of my eye a mans figure at the diaper changing station. It was kind of surprising to walk in and see a man... then we realized it was my cousin Clint. 
Changing cute little baby Margo's diaper.
Quote from Clint- 
"These things are so sexist"
Quote from Me- 
"Clint is more scared of Angela then the stranger in the stall" 
(Angela is his wife, and there was a lady whom none of us knew in one of the stalls).  
ha ha. So there you go.
(Not that Angela is scary, she is darling, but you know how it is with husbands trying to please...)

My grandparents grew up in Pima, AZ. Since we were right there, all of the cars then went to see the homes where they grew up. 

CUTEST STORY: 
My grandparents grew up across the street from each other. My grandpa was best friends with my grandmothers brother, 4 years older than her.
Grandma's childhood home:
And since every single person below adores my grandparents, it was a wonderful moment to stand on that street with all these people I love and listen to my grandparents tell us stories about the olden days. 

Quote from my grandma (after my grandpa said he was born at that house): "I was born in this house too (pointing to her house)... literally... we were both born inside our houses. The doctors came to your house, because there was no where else to go back then" Said with a laugh and a smile.
After talking about my grandma's home, we walked across the street to my grandpa's.
I never thought my cousins Blake and Clint looked that much alike, but above, their profiles look almost like a mirror image.

Below is my grandpa with my 3 aunts. I spent my younger life babysitting for all 3 of these wonderful women.  They formed most all of my opinions of how I wanted to be as a mother. I cry as I write this because I love them each so much. They have had such an impact in my life, more than they can realize. Many moments in parenthood I have pondered on what one of my aunts would have done. Even though they each have different personalities... they all have never-ending patience. They are peacemakers, every one, and if God could make me more like them, I would be better in so many ways. Amy is a spiritual giant. Lindy is the best listener, I remember growing up feeling so important because she cared so much about everything I had to say. Jeni is the most loving mother I know. She enjoys her children and gives her life to them, I think all of my kids have told me at some point or another that they wished she was their mother.
And you can kind of see all the way to the right above is my grandmother. Somehow its symbolic to me. There she is quietly in the background. So humble. Always smiling and looking at the bright side. So patient. Her and my grandpa are as good as they get.
Why can't I be more like this wonderful woman?!
She is an angel from heaven.
My dad use to say that the only thing his parents ever did wrong, was be so perfect, he could never follow in their footsteps.
I love my family.
**You can click on any picture to enlarge**

6 comments:

Grand Central Staten said...

What a great post. I didn't grow up with cousins or aunts and uncles but I am so excited that my kid's kids will have a bunch of aunts uncles and cousins.

Steve said...

Thank you so much Cherryl! Loving you. Uncle Steve.

Amy said...

Cherryl, thanks for chronicling our wonderful day in the GIla Valley. Thank you for your kind, acknowledging words. They brought tears to my eyes. Thanks also for joining us on this very special day. Thanks for being the glue that keeps the next generation of Blakes together. Thanks for your wonderful example of motherhood and for your endless energy and love as a mother, daughter, sister, niece and friend. You are amazing. Love, Amy

Carrie said...

That was a wonderful post, I loved the pictures and totally agree with what you said about our family and what amy said about you :)

Melinda said...

What a beautiful tribute to our family! I cherished that day. I kept thinking what a special occasion it was - so many of us being together, Steffany looking beautiful and happy and being sealed to such a choice man, a fun and delicious lunch, and visiting the place where it all (our family) started. You have carried on the legacy of love in your own creative, extraordinary, brilliant way. It's a good thing we have eternity to be together because one lifetime wouldn't be long enough.

Emily Lauren said...

Love this blog post! I was so sad I couldn't make it so to be able to see the day in pictures made me feel better about my absence :)

We have such a neat family and I'm so happy for Steff.