"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Sunday, February 26, 2012

Two

Friday Sophie was especially naughty.
I want to remember how crazy it is
to have a 2 year old.

So I had just made Sophie a bowl of oatmeal, because that was what she insisted on for lunch, when I got a phone call. It was a business call I had been waiting for for DAYS. I started talking when I noticed Sophie started "playing" with her oatmeal and spreading it around. I had some important things to find out on the phone, so I just turned my back and pretended not to know how naughty she was being. A few minutes later Sophie came over to me and I gasped... she was COVERED in oatmeal. It looked like she had oatmeal gloves on. She seriously baptized her hands and arms in the bowl of oatmeal, then lathered it all over her clothes, hair and body. So, while still trying to sound professional on the phone, I took her in the bathroom to wash her off before the damage spread around the house. (I had no free hands, so had to balance the phone between my cocked head and shoulder, which was really painful, since I had woken up with a kinked neck) When I finished she started screaming/crying, so I gave her something and locked myself in my room to finish the call.

Then I got Sophie and Lily in the car because we had an appointment. We drove there, and not until I pulled Sophie out of the car did I see that she had gotten a purple sharpie marker and drawn ALL OVER her body with it.... arms, legs, neck, dress. So I brought her in looking like a striped tiger. While there she pooped in her diaper and smelled the place up, but I had forgotten to bring diapers, so I had to wait until we got home to change her.

When we got home, I found out WE HAD NO DIAPERS left!! UGH, I hate that!! I forgot to have Bruce buy them when he went to the store the night before. Luckily Bruce had just come home early from work to get ready for a Scout Campout. He walked in the door and saw oatmeal now cemented like a waterfall frozen in time all over the counter, bar stool and floor (I didn't clean it cuz we had to rush out to the appt). Then I handed him Sophie and said, "Watch out, she has no diaper on under that dress, and I have to go to the store to buy some." Then I left him with a purple striped non-diapered Sophie and her oatmeal mess.

I have given her multiple baths since friday,
and I still can't completely get the purple stripes off of her...
so I just put tights on her for church today.

Having a 2 year old makes all of us laugh so much....
but SOME days it makes me CRAZY!!

4 comments:

Alisa said...

What a great story. I once complained to you about kids who were breaking my will to survive with their naughtiness and you said...


"All that matters is that she looks like an angel"


I will repeat that advice to you. Sophie is the cutest kid in the whole world. I admire the heck out of you.

Daniella said...

2 yr olds are so fun yet so maddening!!! We should get together with our 2 little toddlers!

Emily Lauren said...

This story captures the craze perfectly, haha. Good to document the good days and the crazy ones :)

Grand Central Staten said...

So funny that you haven't figured out how to tame 2 years olds by now. You've had 6, you should be a pro at toddler control. (If you figure it out, please share with me 'cause my 5th 3 year old is going to be the death of me.)