"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Sunday, October 7, 2012

Pioneer Hearts

Guess what Dallin, Ashlin and I went to do in July???
{HINT- dressed to the hilt as pioneers}
 I was asked to go as a "Big Sister" on the "Pioneer Trek" all the youth in our stake did in July.  All we could bring was a few items in a bucket, and we had to dress in full pioneer gear. 

Even though we look like a bunch of weirdos... it was a really great experience.  Part of our church's heritage is the huge migration of saints who had to leave the the midwest and trek to the Salt Lake Valley.  Sooooo... here we are having our own "pretend pioneer trek":
Wasn't Dallin a handsome pioneer? ha ha.
For 4 days we pushed and pulled our handcarts filled with all our stuff (like 25+ miles), had to set up and take down our tents we camped in each day and eat out of metal plates and cups, and had devotionals in the family units we were assigned to.  
 Even though I was worried about going, it was a really neat experience to leave all the modern day conveniences behind... no cell phones, ipods, computers, TV... and walk all day in Gods beautiful earth.  It was a great time to reflect on how I can improve myself.  We talked about sacrifice a lot, what the pioneers sacrificed, and reflected on what we sacrifice in our day to obey the Lords commandments.  I loved leaving all the stress of life behind to go to a different world for a few days.  It poured rain one day and we all got soaked, and it was just beautiful.  But what was probably the neatest part of the trek was being there with my 2 children.  Neither Ashlin or Dallin were in my "family" unit, but still in our big group, so I got to watch them from a distance a little and see them happy and helping all day.  I was so proud of them.  While on the trek I was filled with such a strong desire to be a more loving mom, and appreciate my children more.
My 2 favorite moments of the Trek:
#1 After a long 3 days trekking, 10 miles on the last day, we were so exhausted and dirty and finally arriving to our destination.  As we pushed our handcarts in to the final camping spot the boys behind us spontaneously starting singing the hymn "The Spirit of God".  It was so reverent.  In that beautiful setting, listening to that heavenly music, but mostly hearing these teenage boys not afraid to sing and share their love for God was so touching. I cried.
#2 The last night together we gathered as a ward around a campfire and all the youth and leaders got to share their feelings about the experience.  That was sweet, and the feelings in that circle were so tender.  But after the meeting was over there were a few youth who came up to me and said, "Sis Vernon, lets get a few people together and sing some hymns"  I felt like them, and didn't want the sacred feelings of the night to end.  So a few of us stayed by the fire and just started singing hymns, then more joined in.  It was very casual and everyone would just call out their favorite.  We sang for at least a half an hour under the stars, by that campfire.  And we could all just feel the Spirit of God in our hearts, and it felt like so much love and unity.  I loved it partly because of how sacred and strong the feelings in my heart were, but also because of how wonderful it was to be surrounded by youth who on their own wanted to linger and sing hymns all night,
including my own daughter.
♥♥♥

No comments: