"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Thursday, March 22, 2012

Mom

Dora Jean Blake
September 1952 - March 2012
My mom and dad were married February of their senior year in high school, because they were pregnant with my oldest sister Chrissy.
I think my mom is pregnant with me below.
Us 3 girls at our family cabin in Pinetop that we went to all my life.
My parents and I on Christmas day at my grandparents house. Funny how they are in shorts and flip flops in December, and I am in a ball gown?
I was in high school here.
Last year, at my parents house.
Yesterday was my moms funeral. It was a bitter sweet day. Just my 2 sisters and I spoke. My mom did so many crazy things, that listening to all the stories was so funny. But it was so sad. So hard to believe thats all the stories we'll have in this life. The musical numbers were beautiful. The funeral was at an LDS church. Generally only church hymns are allowed in the chapel, but we got special permission to have my cousin play soft Beatles/60's songs on the piano instead, since my parents didn't go to church. It was so so neat and perfect for her. We made a picture video of her life, and put music on it that my parents liked. I watched it on repeat all morning. I cry every time it gets to the end pictures. I am so thankful that even though my parents had many hard years, they stayed married and made it work. I can't tell you how much it means to me that they stayed married, it still makes me cry. I am so proud of them. I learned from them that you can work through really hard times, and find love even amidst struggle.
Family was everything to them.
I love you mom.

6 comments:

Frolicking Night Owl said...

Loved all the photos. This has caused me to think about a lot of things and now that I saw she was born the same year as both of Joel's parents and my mom, it gives me more to consider. Thank you for your example & for sharing.

Grand Central Staten said...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful lifetime in pictures. We thought about and prayed for your family all day yesterday. It just breaks my heart thinking about what your week must have been like. Your mom is right - Family is Everything!

Anonymous said...

I loved looking at the pictures. We, too, have been thinking about you and you are in our prayers.

Emily Lauren said...

Love these pictures, Cherryl. She is so beautiful! The funeral was SO neat and was such a great tribute to her life. I LOVED your talk and how open, raw, funny, touching, and inspiring, it was. Your mom was amazing and raised 3 of the best women I have ever known.

E and T Macdonald said...

What a walk down memory lane seeing all those photos! :) Your mom was so loving to everyone, so funny and crazy at times, too. It was always fun to hang out at your house. You have been in my prayers. I love you lots and hope you can feel peace and strength during these hard times. xoxo Tanya

d.jo said...

I love your pictures of your family and of your mom. You have a beautiful family. I'm sorry your mom has died at such a young age. I am confident that all the wonderful qualities she taught you will continue to be passed on to your kids through you.