"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Wednesday, February 3, 2010

lunch

There are plenty of things that STINK about living at our house, I am sure. The following is just an example of one of them.

This morning before school Emma says, "Mom, you never took me out to eat for straight A's"

WOOPS.

Our rule is: "Straight A's = Out to Eat with mom or dad". Emma's report card came home a month ago... and we had not gone out yet. I felt bad. Kids have to really want something at our house enough to ask, and pester, and remind us lots... otherwise.... well.... unfortunately.... it just might not happen.

I felt bad enough that I promptly rectified the situation and 3 hours later I was at her school to surprise her and take her out to lunch, just her and I, to Olive Garden. Yum.

I think she forgave me.

And later that night (while watching American Idol) she, out of the blue says, "Mom, I love you". And I said, "I love you too." Then she clarified, "Sometimes when I am at school, I miss you, and I just want to be at home with you... and other times... (she hesitates) well, I don't want to be with you at all."

I responded, "I totally understand, sometimes I don't want to be with me either."

It was clear though that she felt renewed love for me because I had taken the time to make her feel important. And I was glad we did lunch. I love Emma.

No comments: