~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OCTOBER
2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's time for HALLOWEEN...
And look who is so excited to be Snow White... Poor Sophie didn't pull off Snow White super great this year. Even with the cute gold headband, she was just a little too balled. I think that is why she's crying, someone told her Snow White has hair. ha ha.
Well, we seriously thought she was still the cutest... and laughed at her cute little body in the little tiny dress my mom had bought her.
She cheered up once she started getting candy, but not in time for the below picture.
So, explanation as to why all my kids look crazy. Halloween was sunday this year. STRESS. Last time it was on sunday, October 2004, we did not go Trick-or-Treating. It is super important in our family to reverence the Sabbath Day and keep it Holy. In 2004 we didn't feel that Trick-or-Treating was appropriate on sunday, however we still gave candy out to neighbors.
This year I had a change of heart. I really prayed and stressed about it all week. I felt it is the one time of year we get out there and visit with all our neighbors. We told our kids we weren't going..... then sunday came along..... and well, I decided in favor of being neighborly. So I told the kids like a few hours before dark to go find costumes in our costume box. (They were very happy about my change of heart) The above picture is what they came up with. Nothing fancy.
Ashlins BFF/cousin Macy came over too.
The kids went Trick or Treating all together just up our street. Bruce and I put the fire pit outside and invited our neighbors David and Rachelle over to hang out with us outside and pass out candy. It was so nice to sit out front and visit with them, because we never have time for that, and talk to all the neighbors. We laughed and laughed and had a beautiful night hanging out as a family.
Sophie loved eating candy all night.
I love that Bruce is wearing work gloves below...
he's not messing around about keeping that fire going, ha ha.
2 comments:
I stressed about this, too, and we also decided to trick-or-treat. I do love walking around and chatting with people but I also thought that people would notice if we stayed inside. I didn't want my neighbors to think the Mormon kids were abused or just plain weird. I also think that staying home could be viewed almost like we think we are above the holiday and I really could see how that could be viewed as unfriendly or separatist. I think unity is important and focusing on community is very Christian.
We have always made Sunday a quiet day, (We also skipped 2004) but Halloween this year was a perfect family activity. We had the grandparents over and just enjoyed laughing and walking together.
I don't have to wonder: I know we made the right decision for our family.
Don't be too hard on yourself. You are the best mom I know. The Lord knows your patterns and He knows your heart.
Post a Comment