So I am assuming that most of you reading this always say prayers as a family at meal times... BUT what do you do when you are at a restaraunt?? Do you still say a prayer as a family??
My philosophy has been, I always say a prayer before I eat in order to give thanks. It is a habit and I never forget, and I do so ALWAYS even at a restaraunt... BUT, when I am at a restaraunt I am a lot more discrete. I don't fold my arms, I often bow my head and close my eyes, but sometimes don't even close my eyes, depending on the circumstances, just have this moment of silence before I eat, with my hands folded under the table. I have taught my kids that we ALWAYS thank Heavenly Father for the food we have before we eat. But in public, it can be more private. I don't know wether my kids do so at school, but when we are out as a family, they usually see me, then each of them kind of does this quiet little thing too on their own.
So the other night I was by myself at Chipotle eating. The restaraunt was pretty empty. I ofcourse, said my own little "hidden" prayer before I ate. Then like 5 minutes later, this lady, by herself came and sat down and I noticed that she openly did her catholic crossing her chest (I am sure there is a name for that) then folded her hands and closed her eyes and prayed before she ate. THEN 5 minutes later this little sweet Christian family came in, just a mom, dad and teenage son, and before they ate, they all folded their hands, bowed their head and the father said a quick prayer out loud before they ate.
These two displays in a row were so touching to me. It made me happy to see them pray. It restored my faith in society, that there are still good Christian people who pray to God multiple times a day, as I am sure if they prayed there, they are praying in their homes also. It was such a great thing to witness. And it made me think about my philosophy, and wondered if maybe I shouldn't feel like I have to "hide" my public prayers alone or as a family.... hmmm.
1 week ago
3 comments:
I do love finding and knowing people that are active in their relegion-they are good people trying and it almost helps to know there are more good people out there.
Prayers in restaurants have always made me think-should it be done outwardly? or is it like those Christ speaks of in the bible? if you don't do it? then are you ungrateful or ashamed? If you find an answer, let me know.
Side note: thanks= you for always being so cute and nice-you are amazing!!!
Food for thought:)! Sorry to disappoint you on my blog. I still haven't posted many of the inside of my house. You just need to come over soon.
First of all why were you eating at Chipotle without me? I'd really like to take you out to lunch to say thank you. Not that I feel I need to but b/c I want to. Second and more important. I think you should be open about it. Think of the people that might be watching you and what they might take from it. Just a thought.
Post a Comment