"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Friday, April 10, 2009

Pobresito Bruce :(

Poor Bruce. This is where he lives now. How big the rest of our house is means nothing to him now. His sphere of living is the couch, atleast since Tuesday evening. Well actually, the early morning hours of Wednsday is when we returned home from the Emergency Room, and home for him became the couch.

So Tuesday evening Bruce was playing Men's Church Softball, and I get a phone call, from which I can see on the caller ID is the Elders Quorum President. Since I know he is always at the softball game, I knew immediately that Bruce got hurt. It ended up being his wife, who immediately says, "Bruce broke his leg really bad, the perimedics are at the field, you need to come down". To which I respond, "are you joking?" a few times (as if anybody would be calling as a joke about this besides maybe my cousin Blake). UGH, not a fun phone call. AND it interupted me from my watching the DVR'ed American Idol, to which I was having my own drama when our recording cut off ADAM, the last performer. But I put it behind me, and left immediately to tend to my broken husband.

When I arrived at the field, sure enough, there were some emergency vehicles, peremedics and a whole bunch of guys with baseball gloves standing around staring at Bruce on the ground. To anyone who knows how much Bruce does NOT like to be the center of attention, I don't know which was worse, the initial pain of the injury, or everyone standing around staring at him in pain. He did not want me to look at his ankle. But I was brave. You could clearly see the bone sticking out in ways that are not normal. yuck. The peremedics were saying it was really bad and would need surgery.

How it happend: He had just run past first base, and saw he couldn't make second, so turned back to run to first and had to take a big leaping step, left foot forward, to make the base and his left foot hit the side of base wierd and his whole 193 pound body fell over his ankle. Ouch.

So, I followed the now moriphened husband inside the ambulance to the E.R. They put him completely under to pop his bone back in to place. And it ended up having no fracture. I thought this was good news, we'd be headed home and he'd be better soon, JUST a dislocation, right? Wrong. Wow, have I learned that ligament damage can take just as long or longer to heal. Bruce can hardly even move from the pain. We went to the orthopedic specialist yesterday, and they still couldn't cast it because of the swelling. We go back next week so he can decide for sure if he needs surgery. He said 10 weeks recovery. Bruce is seriously planning on going to work on Monday, in 3 days.

This is cracking me up. He is planning to sit in his roller chair with his leg up (has to keep elevated) and have his nurses roll him in every room... "Roll in the doctor!" Everyone wants a handicap Veterinarian on perkeset. We'll see how it goes. (FYI- before you cancel your Vet appointments with him, he will NOT go in to work on Perkeset, but will switch to Ibuprofen.)

So, this below has been his view for 3 days now. And if I should say so myself, he has been very well attended to, between the 6 of us. Though if the kids get too close to his sphere of living, he starts hyperventilating and yelling, "don't touch, don't touch, don't touch". The man lives in fear that someone will accidentally touch his leg. This would be painful and not an invalid fear with 5 kids, a dog and a cat bouncing around. (I just noticed in the picture below the kind of fun things you can see Bruce has to entertain him, as he lays in pain, on the T.V. screen you will see Barbie's version of "Princess and the Pauper". Poor Bruce)

It has taken me 3 days to get a smiling picture of Bruce. I dared not even ask before. (Just between you and me, he has been a little grumpy!)

I told him that I am personally just happy he has learned his lesson, and if he tries to go out in the evening and have himself a fun night life with out us, he will be punished. (Ha Ha)

6 comments:

The Wiser Side said...

Poor Bruce! We all hope that recovery goes well. Let us know if you need any help. Travis feels really bad.

Nichole Lowe said...

Ryan was there when it all happened and told me about it. I am glad that he is doing good. I guess he won't be playing softball anymore. Ha, Ha

Jill said...

I love the hyperventilating part of the story! I laughed out loud! I can just see it! My husband would be the same! Kids are always bouncing around! Marcus tore his ACL and miniskis sp? (however you say that) playing church basketball! That was not a fun recovery. My heart goes out to ya! Men are wimpy! Hhahah haha ha hhahh

The Regimballe Family said...

Oh, poor Bruce! I don't know who I felt worse for when I heard the news...you or him! Glad he's got such an attentive family to take care of him! I love the "roll in the Dr" idea! Let me know how that works out!! We're praying for a speedy recovery!

E and T Macdonald said...

What a bummer!! Well tell Bruce next time he wants to take a 10 week vacation, he should just schedule it....he really shouldn't go to such extremes! :)
Good luck with everything and hope he heals quickly!

Lindsey Kilpatrick said...

Those dang church sports! First Casey, now Bruce. Poor guy. As if your life wasn't busy enough before adding crippled husband to the list.