"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Friday, September 18, 2009

Everybody WANG CHUNG tonight...

WARNING: IF YOU READ THIS POST, YOU WILL LEARN HOW TO MAKE EGG ROLLS, AND THEN YOU WILL NEVER LOVE A RESTARAUNTS, BECAUSE HOMEMADE ARE BETTER!
So, for Young Womens Ashlin chose as one of her value projects:
learning some meals in the kitchen.
She chose a few favorites, then I suggested ORIENTAL NIGHT, and we could make Fortune Cookies, Egg rolls and lo mein noodles! YUM! (My mom worked at a chinese restaraunt and taught me how to make some awesome egg rolls!)

So, ofcourse she invited some friends over for the chinese party, and my sister,... and we got cooking... they started with fortune cookies:
After baking, you quickly add a pre-made fortune and fold like a fortune cookie:
Best part about this, making your own fortunes! They made up like 36, we ate some that night, then they passed them out to people at school... a few of their favorite fortunes:
"Some day you might be as cool as Ashlin" and
"Some day you might be as cool as Vanessa"

While those hardened, we moved on to EGG ROLLS:

Step 1: Veggies
GRATED carrots, Cut up cabbage, Bean Sprouts, Green Onions

Step 2: Stir Fry
(The essential ingredient is above, SESAME OIL, adds fab flavor!)

First, stir fry your chicken in sesame oil, remove, shred or cut in small pieces. Add all your veggies, with some salt and Ginger. Stir fry a few minutes until cooked, then add the cooked chicken and a little soy sauce.

Then you are ready to assemble the egg rolls!
(You buy egg roll wrappers from the refrigerator section of the grocery store.)

Scramble a raw egg... then to assemble, you get an egg roll wrapper, put filling in the middle, then using the egg to seal the egg roll, you fold it up!

After they are assembled... you fry them up!

(before and after)

To make the lo mein noodles, you use your left over filling. Fry some cooked thin spaghetti noodles in sesame oil, then add your left over filling, and some snap pea things...
Add some soy sauce to taste... and you have quite the scrumptious meal:

What a fun night!

Then afterwards, to work it off, we went iceskating!And even Lily and my sister came too...

I titled my post "Everybody Wang Chung tonight" because that was a rockin 80's song- after I put it on my blog, I thought I should look up the meaning, you know, just in case... and it actually means:

"go out socially and have some fun"- PERFECT!

Everybody Wang Chung Tonight! :)

9 comments:

The Wiser Side said...

Thanks for the yummy recipie!!! And the pictures look GREAT!! So now you have to teach me how to do the caption/handwriting on the picture.

Anonymous said...

what a fun night! i want to come take cooking lessons from you too!!

Kimmy said...

Yum!!! I can't wait to try your recipe!

E and T Macdonald said...

Yum! Do you deliver to Utah?! :) I haven't been ice skating in years! I guess now that we live in the snow we should really go! :)

Haleigh said...

Hey Cherryl, I'm glad that you finally added me to your sidebar :o) As far as the bigger pictures go, just google bigger blogger pictures and you can get instructions on how to do it. You also have to host your pictures through somewhere like photobucket instead of just using the upload a picture through blogger. Call me if you really want to do it and I can help you out.

Your family is so cute. You have so much fun together doing creative things. I hope to do that as my girls get older too. Thanks for the fun idea!

The Hunts said...

Yummy!

Janel said...

Hi Cherryl

Wow how fun to catch up! Look at you with 6 kids, that is so awesome! I love your blog :D

Ali Hawkins said...

I remember you from that girls night out. I don't know if it is because I just had another baby, but I don't know if I am brave enough to have another one. I like to see other big families as well that way I don't feel like I am such a spectacle. Nice to hear from you.

Rachelle Urness said...

How fun and what a cute family! Too fun! Your family is adorable and looks like you have a great time together! :)