"To the world you may be One person, but to one person you may be the World"







Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Scripture Study

Can you count the sleeping bodies?
------------------
Post 5:50am Scripture Study:

This is the first year we have to wake up our children in the 5:00am hour for scripture study and family prayer. After driving Ashlin to school at 6:10am and exercising, I sometimes come home to every person in the family back asleep on the couch. (And actually this last week Dallin started football in Jr. High, and they start practice at 6:00am. So everyone now has to wake up at 5:35am.)

I am so thankful for children who don't even complain!? How did I get so lucky? I am so thankful for that time reading scriptures as a family. We use to read at breakfast time. I love it so much more now. There is no food or chaos going on. It's quiet, everyone has their own scriptures, snuggled in blankets on the couch, and we take turns reading and talking about Gods plan for us.

I mess up so many things as a mom. I yell, even though I pray every day for patience. I respond impatiently, even though I pray every day for charity. I know I am better than I would be without prayer... but I wish I was even better!! I am full of hope that God can make up the difference.

I Looooooove This Scripture..... Such a powerful promise:

1 Nephi 15:24-25

"And I said unto them that it was the Word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would host fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction.

Wherefore, I... did exhort them to give heed unto the word of the Lord; yea, I did exhort them with all the energies of my soul, and with all the faculty which I posessed, that they would give heed to the word of God and remember to keep His commandments always in all things."

3 comments:

angela hardison said...

i still haven't quite forgiven my mother for making us get up for 5:00am scripture study while i was in jr high/high school. but i'm workin' on it ;)

(just kidding. mostly.)

good for you. and you really are lucky that they don't complain. we had a house full of complainers and unfortunately i was one of them!

d.jo said...

I love this post!

I feel the Spirit of what you're doing. Because you're obeying the commandments you're going to see the dream fulfilled--I can see it's happening already in your children. They will "give heed to the word of God" and remember his commandments in all things, because their mother (and father) taught them. I love that scripture you posted at the end.

Way to be, Vernons! I just look up to you guys. You're the neatest!

Jill said...

Cherryl you are an inspiration. We read at night but I know as my kids get older it will be difficult with games and practices etc. I hope I will have the ability to get up early if I need to. I guess it is not about convenience but keeping the commandments no matter how difficult! You are such a great mom! Thanks for sharing your normal imperfectness too because I STRUGGLE and I know I am not alone in that. You are AWESOME!